Tuesday, March 15, 2011

planting

A couple of weeks ago, we invited my 5-year-old nephew over to help us plant vegetables. His teacher has told my sister-in-law that "he has a real gift for gardening."

We planted the "cold" vegetables, which in TN include: lettuces, spinach, collard greens (I don't so much like these, so the hubs only did a couple of spots), broccoli, carrots, and peas. My nephew was so cute-each item I gave him-he said "oh peas, my favorite!", "carrots! I love carrots!", you get the picture. Here is a picture of the progress...not quite ready for planting into the actual garden spot just yet.

Clearly, the one on the right that is doing well is the one that the hubs planted. My nephew Kyle and I did the one on the left. In our defense, the peas only grow one large stock, while the greens the hubs planted grew tons of sprouts. According to the directions on the planters, we need to pare down the overgrowth, but I'm afraid that I'll pick the wrong pieces out. Hopefully we will get something out of this planting. My money is on the peas (that, for the record, Kyle and I planted).

No comments:

Post a Comment